Member of the Board of Management of Mercedes-Benz Group AG. Chief Technology Officer, Development & Procurement
Markus Schäfer is, as of the end of Annual Meeting of Daimler AG – now Mercedes-Benz Group AG - on May 22, 2019, a Member of the Board of Management. In this function, he is responsible for Development & Procurement and as of December 1, 2021 in addition Chief Technology Officer. In this function, he is responsible for the holistic development process of Mercedes-Benz Cars, as well as procurement. Markus Schäfer is also a member of the Board of Management of Mercedes-Benz AG.
Appointed until: May 2024. First appointed: 2019. Nationality: German.
Markus Schäfer was born on May 11, 1965 in Weidenau, Germany. After obtaining the University entrance diploma (Abitur) he started his studies of Mechanical Engineering at the Technical University in Darmstadt and finished with a Diplom-Ingenieur (former German equivalent to a master’s degree) in 1990. He joined the then Daimler-Benz AG as Trainee within the International Management Associate Program in November 1990.
Previous positions in the company:
- Member of the Board of Management, Group Research & Mercedes-Benz Cars Chief Operating Officer (COO), 2020
- Member of the Board of Management responsible for Group Research and Mercedes-Benz Cars Development, 2019
- Member of the Divisional Board, Mercedes-Benz Cars Production & Supply Chain, Daimler AG, 2014
- Vice President, Manufacturing Engineering Mercedes-Benz Passenger Cars, Daimler AG, 2013
- Vice President, President & CEO, Mercedes-Benz U.S. International Inc., Tuscaloosa (USA), 2010
- Director, Production Strategy, Daimler AG, 2007
- Director, Engineering, Mercedes-Benz U.S. International Inc., Tuscaloosa (USA), 2002
- Plant Manager, CKD-Assembly Plant, Joint Venture EGA/Kairo (Egypt), 1999
- Project and Plant Manager, CKD-Assembly Plant, Joint Venture EGA/Kairo (Egypt), 1997
- Team leader, Project planning overseas projects, Daimler-Benz AG, 1995
- Technical project planning overseas projects for passenger and commercial cars, Daimler-Benz AG, 1994
- Cost Controller, Center Paint Shop, Mercedes-Benz AG, 1993
- Production Engineer, Product preparations, Mercedes-Benz AG, 1991
- Trainee (International Management Associate Program) Bodyshop, Daimler-Benz AG, 1990