Mercedes-Benz grill

Q2 2021

Mercedes-Benz Cars sales.

July 06, 2021 – Mercedes-Benz Cars delivered 1,182,724 passenger cars (+25.1%) to customers worldwide in the first half of 2021. In China, Mercedes-Benz set two new records: The highest deliveries in a second quarter (219,059 units, +5.8%) and in a first half of a year (441,579 units, +27.6%). Double-digit Q2 sales growth was achieved in Germany (+26.3%) and the USA (+38.6%).

Global sales partners face very high customer demand across the Mercedes-Benz model portfolio. Nevertheless, the worldwide supply shortage of certain semiconductor components affected global deliveries to customers in Q2, especially in the month of June. The shortage is expected to continue to impact the upcoming two quarters in terms of sales.

Great customer demand for our Mercedes-Benz models propelled our double-digit growth in the first half of 2021. Order intake levels remain high supported by the popularity of the new S-Class, the xEVs and the sales launch of the new C-Class in many markets.

Britta Seeger, Member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG and Mercedes-Benz AG responsible for Marketing and Sales.

Deliveries of plug-in hybrids and all-electric cars more than quadrupled in just six months, reaching 121,500 units (+305.0%). In total, the xEVs made up 10.3% of total Mercedes-Benz Cars sales in the first half of 2021. Around 39,000 all-electric vehicles were delivered from January to June (+291.4%), including more than 19,000 units (+469.4%) of the EQA, EQC and EQV models (Combined power consumption: 26.4 15.7 kWh/100 km; combined CO₂ emissions: 0 g/km) .

Mercedes-Benz passenger car sales by regions and markets

Sales of Mercedes-Benz in the Asia-Pacific region rose from January to June 26.1%. Deliveries of Mercedes-Benz in China remained on a record level, with a total of 441,579 units in H1 (+27.6%). In the Europe region, the recovery of many markets and an improved COVID-19 situation led to a sales growth of 53.7% in the second quarter. Mercedes-Benz sold in Germany a total of 107,269 cars from January to June, achieving a sales level slightly above last year (+1.0%). Sales in the North America region totalled in H1 182,305 units (+24.4%) with 160,646 passenger cars delivered to customers in the USA (+26.3%).

Mercedes-Benz Cars & Vans unit sales

Mercedes-Benz sold 581,201 cars worldwide in Q2 (+27.0%) and 1,162,471 cars from January to June (+24.3%). Around 21,500 S-Classes were delivered to customers in Q2 (+69.2%), totalling more than 36,000 units since the beginning of the year (+43.1%). The E-Class saloon & estate (+11.8%), the compact cars (+42.1%) and the SUVs (+53.2%) achieved a strong sales performance from January to June. From January to June, the GLC SUV was again the best-selling single model of Mercedes-Benz worldwide, followed by the C- and E-Class saloon. The new C-Class, which had its start of sales on March 30, already achieved an order intake level of around 50,000 orders. Deliveries of the smart brand more than doubled in Q2 with 10,524 units (+148.3%). A total of 20,253 two- and four-door urban microcars were delivered from January to June (+100.5%).

In Q2 2021, commercial vans sales from Mercedes-Benz Vans grew by 37% compared to the prior-year quarter despite the worldwide shortage of supply in certain semiconductor components. In total, 84,190 Sprinters, Vito, Tourer and Citan were recorded sold worldwide. Growth was particularly high in Latin America and Europe, where eSprinter and eVito contributed strongly to the growth in predominantly all European markets.

Overview of retail unit sales by Mercedes-Benz Cars & Vans

  Q2 2021 Change in %
*Including the V-Class, EQV and the X-Class
Mercedes-Benz* 581,201 +27.0
smart 10,524 +148.3
Mercedes-Benz Cars 591,725 +28.1
Mercedes-Benz Vans (commercial models) 84,190 +37.2
Mercedes-Benz Cars & Vans 675,915 +29.2
Mercedes-Benz passenger cars sales by region and market    
Europe 191,735 +53.7
- thereof Germany 52,823 +26.3
Asia-Pacific 284,688 +10.0
- thereof China 219,059 +5.8
North America 93,987 +38.1
- thereof USA 82,390 +38.6