Our vehicles are driven electrically – with a battery, as a hybrid or with a fuel cell. The drive technology has changed and it will continue to change.
Our drive. The technology of the vehicles
Innovator: Structure of a lithium-ion battery
Driving with hybrid
How do the electric machine and internal combustion engine work together?
- If the hybrid vehicle is running exclusively in electric mode, the coupling is open, the combustion engine is decoupled and switched off.
- During recuperation, the coupling remains open, with the electric machine then working as a alternator and converting mechanical energy into electrical energy to charge the battery.
- When the vehicle is running in hybrid mode, the coupling is closed. In terms of the comfort and efficiency criteria, the intelligent hybrid control system operates the internal combustion engine and electric machine.
- In coasting mode the coupling is open and the combustion engine is switched off. The vehicle coasts without the drag losses of the combustion engine.
- Boost: Beyond the full load of the combustion engine, power is also supplied by the electric machine.